Fire crews rushed to the scene at 12.20 on Sunday but by the time the blaze was extinguished there was little left of the Mclaren vehicle as most of the bodywork had melted away.
Is this a Mclaren Bonfire I hear you scream? Well if it is it is an expensive one.
Becky Gagen, 45, was travelling to a pub for Sunday lunch with her husband John, 59, and their 10-year-old son Tom when they spotted the flash motor engulfed in flames.
She said: ‘We came across it by accident, really.
‘We could see black smoke in the distance, and as we turned around the corner there was a blazing McLaren right in front of us.
‘There was a female driver at the side of the road on the phone – I suspect to her partner.
‘What made us laugh was the fact that she’d got her shopping out of the car and emptied it – making sure that dinner was in the bag was obviously her first priority.
‘She shouted at us to stay away as it had a full tank of petrol and could have exploded at any moment.’
The housewife from Doncaster in South Yorkshire, photographed the burning car as she and her family passed through before the road was closed for 30 minutes.
She added: ‘John was telling me to take a picture, which at first I didn’t want to do.
‘This woman’s week had clearly been ruined, and I didn’t exactly what to compound her misery by being there to photograph it.
‘But I thought it might help encourage people to stay away from the road.
‘My son is a massive car fan – his first word was ‘car’ – so he was just amazed by what was going on.
‘He says that the model is prone to catching fire because of the carbon-fibre body.
‘Nonetheless it was an amazing sight, least of all something you’d expect to see on your way to Sunday dinner.’