It has been another noisy week of rusty discovery on the Microbus project. In between the bread-and-butter accident repair work for Sandall’s customers, we have made some real progress.

Last week we cut away the rotten cabin floor, which had been subjected to a lot of bodged repairs. The cleanest, most robust and durable solution was to remove the old floor completely and start with a fresh panel.

Not content with fitting a new cab floor, we have also welded in a new passenger-side wheelarch. As you can from the pictures, the new arch has enabled us to re-align the passenger door. The gaps are now much cleaner and more consistent – the sign a good panel work.

VW Microbus

Tony grinds down the passenger-side wheelarch aperture in preparation for fitting the new panel

VW Microbus

With the new wheelarch fitted we can align the passenger door

VW Microbus

The passenger door has been fully aligned with the new wheelarch. The gap and shut lines are now consistent

VW Microbus

New cabin floor fitted and tack welded into place